We invite everyone to spiritually enter into the hushed Season of Advent in preparation for Christmas by participating in one or all of the following activities.
Advent: Making the Holidays Holy, not Hectic
This time of year is commonly called the “Holiday Season” among Christians and non-Christians alike. “Holiday” is simple an old-English word for holy day. However, I think many people would call this season the hectic days. In order to make these holidays holy and not hectic, we need to begin by making the firm decision that we want to set these days aside as sacred.
Advent is a time to prepare to commemorate the birth of Jesus 2,000 years ago, but it is about much more than that. Advent is also a sacred time to prepare and repair our hearts so that our Lord will find a renewed and longing heart for Him. The third aspect of Advent, which is equally important, is a time to “wait in joyful hope for the coming of our savior Jesus Christ” at His second and final coming.
Here are a few recommendations to make the holidays holy, not hectic:
- Decorate your home and office using the Advent color of violet
- Place an Advent wreath at your dinner table or your prayer corner. (You can find a prayers for the Advent wreath online).
- Listen to Advent (See http://catholic-resources.org/Lectionary/Seasons-Advent-Christmas.htm)
- 25 Days of Prayer and Compassion– Free book and online version available in English and Spanish; click here to download: 25 Days of Prayer and Compassion Campaign
- Little Blue Books – Available in English and Spanish
- House of Prayer Videos – A couple of time each month before the closing prayer at Sunday Mass, we will be showing a short video on ways to pray.
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation: In addition to our regular Confession times, we will also have an Advent Penance Service on December 14th at 7pm.
- Advent with Our Lady: Celebrate the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception Masses (Dec 8th) and Solemnity of Our Lady of Guadalupe on December 12th.
- http//FORMED.ORG: Free parish online resource. Access code: 68K27J Here’s a small sample of what’s available:
- Movie: The Story of the Nativity
- Movie: The Reluctant Saint
- Video Programs: The Bible and the Virgin Mary
- 33 Days to Morning Glory: a do-it-yourself Marian retreat
- Just for Parents: a great resource for parents with teenagers
- Book: Because God is Real